If you have a trip abroad planned for the near future, it’s always a good idea to see if the location you’re headed to has any illness’ you are not currently vaccinated against. Springfield Urgent Care offers vaccinations for a variety of diseases that are prevalent in popular travel destinations. Vaccinations will keep prevent you from bringing anything other than souvenirs home!
What Does Travel Medicine Test For?
Travel medicine is a preventative measure recommended to people traveling to countries that have cases of illnesses that we are not vaccinated for here in the United States. Some travel vaccinations administered here at Springfield Urgent Care Include:
- Anthrax – Anthrax is a harmful substance-related disease that can cause death in both animals and humans. Anthrax contains a dangerous bacterium called Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be contracted from contact with infected animals, animal products or anthrax itself.
- Hepatitis A & B – ‘Twinrix’ is a vaccination that protects against both hepatitis A and hepatitis B Virus. A series of three vaccinations are required to complete the vaccination.
- Polio – Polio or poliomyelitis, is a very contagious disease caused by the poliovirus. Polio cases, while mostly non-existent in the United States; may still occur in certain regions of Africa and the middle east.
- Rabies – If you are traveling and will be in contact with animals in a country in where rabies is less controlled, the rabies pre-or post-vaccination is recommended.
- Typhoid – The typhoid fever is often a result of coming in contact with salmonella bacteria, which often comes from food and water. This is recommended for many international travelers.
- Mosquito Carried Diseases – Mosquitos are known to carry a variety of serious diseases. Some of these diseases can actually be prevented by vaccination. Yellow and Dengue fever are diseases that can be prevented by vaccination while malaria cannot.
If you live in the Springfield Township area and have plans to travel out of the country, contact Springfield Urgent Care today to learn more about the travel vaccinations offered.