Where to Go for Poison Ivy Treatment in the St. Clair Shores, MI, Area
Despite its name, poison ivy isn’t really poisonous. But like some other plants, such as poison oak and poison sumac, poison ivy produces a sticky substance called urushiol that causes an itchy, blistering rash for many people when they touch it. This rash is an allergic reaction. Additionally, if poison ivy is burned, the smoke can cause respiratory problems for those who inhale it. Fortunately, children and adults in the St. Clair Shores, Michigan, area can turn to Springfield Urgent Care for convenient poison ivy treatment.
Our experienced and highly qualified medical practitioners can identify the cause of many types of skin rashes, including poison ivy. We’re open during extended hours daily, including on the weekends, and we treat walk-in patients of all ages for a wide variety of non-life-threatening illnesses and injuries.
Poison Ivy Rash Symptoms
The severity of a poison ivy rash typically depends on how much of your skin was exposed to it. For this reason, you should avoid touching the affected area with your fingers because you can spread the irritating substance to other parts of your body through touch. You can also develop a poison ivy rash by touching clothing, a backpack, or a walking stick that has urushiol on it. If you suspect you’ve touched poison ivy, you should immediately wash the affected skin as well as any items that came in contact with the plant.
Poison ivy rashes look like patches or streaks of red, raised blisters. They can become noticeable and quite itchy within 24 to 72 hours of contact, and the rash can last for weeks. It’s important not to scratch because you can spread the symptoms to other parts of your body or cause the area to become infected. When you visit Springfield Urgent Care, we can diagnose poison ivy rash and provide treatment to help you feel better and speed your recovery.
Contact us today if you’d like more information about poison ivy treatment at Springfield Urgent Care in St. Clair Shores.