In most cases, a person who suffers a concussion will not lose consciousness. Symptoms may not be noticed right after the injury, sometimes not for hours or even days later. Combat the effects of a concussion by:
- Taking over the counter pain relievers.
- Eating a light diet
- Resting until you feel normal.
- Have someone monitor you, checking on you every couple of hours for the first 24 hours or until you feel normal.
- Staying away from medicines or substances that cause drowsiness or impact consciousness, such as narcotic pain medicines, alcohol, sleeping pills, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, and recreational drugs, as they may mask symptoms of a worsening condition.
- Avoiding strenuous activities.
- Seeking care if the symptoms persist and/or worsen.